Be sure to check out the STEM page
Internet rechartering starts here
Merit Badge Program and Merit Badge Counselor information
Current articles related to Advancement are shown below.
- STEM-related Merit Badges
STEM-related Merit Badges
Tier 1 includes merit badges that are STEM related in their entirety. Tier 2 includes merit badges that have only a few STEM related requirements.
Tier 1 Merit Badges
Model Design & Building
Reptile & Amphibian Study
Soil & Water Conservation
Mining in Society
Tier 2 Merit Badges*
- STEM opportunities Take advantage of opportunities offered in our communities which might help with your Scouting STEM awards. Here’s some ideas:
Wisconsin Institutes for Discovery – Science Saturdays
Geology Museum UW-Madison
Badger Orienteering Club – often offers a Scouting event in March or April each year.
Wednesday Night @ the Lab – UW Madison – WN@L runs every Wednesday night, 50 ...
- UW-ANS Scout Nuclear Science Merit Badge Workshop Earn your nuclear science merit badge with the help of the UW American Nuclear Society!
The UW-Madison American Nuclear Society Student Chapter is again holding our Boy Scout Nuclear Science Merit Badge workshops! This is a chance to participate in a fun day at the UW-Madison campus as we discover many aspects of nuclear science.
Information about ...
- STEM Committee and Mentors Help Wanted: adult volunteers STEM committee and mentors
BSA’s new STEM program encourages Scouts to experience science, technology, engineering and math in fun and interesting ways. There are two awards levels: The Nova awards program helps Scouts discover how exciting STEM can be; the Supernova awards program is even more challenging and encourages scientific discovery. Requirements ...
- Jamboree-on-the-Internet (JOTI) What: JOTA’s younger brother, JOTI is an annual Scouting event that uses the Internet and the numerous devices that are used to get online — home computers, iPads and more — to link Scouts from around the world.
When: Third full weekend of October.
Who: Scouts of any age!
How: Scouts can participate at home with the help of an adult (remember two-deep leadership!), or ...
- STEM-themed shows Did you know that watching an an episode or episodes of a STEM-themed show might help you with the NOVA awards? Read more here – NOVA award requirements.
Here’s some examples of channels that have some shows with STEM themes:
National Geographic Channel
TED Talks (online videos)
Why Files – Science behind the news
You’ll make a ...
- Advancement update 2015 Be sure to check out
The Advancement guide has been updated.
The Eagle Scout Workbook has been updated.
- Nova Awards For your first Nova award, Scouts earn the cool Nova award patch.
After that, a Scout can earn three more Nova awards, each one recognized with a separate pi (π) pin-on device that attaches to the patch.
The patch and the three devices represent each of the four STEM topics—science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Venturer Scout Nova awards: ...
- Jamboree-on-the-Air Annual Scouting event that uses amateur radio to link Scouts around the world, across the country and in your own community.
Third full weekend of October.
Find a local American Radio Relay League club here to check if they are having an event near you.
Learn more: Get resources, quick-start guides, and more at the JOTA website.
- Camping and STEM Cub Scouts’ outdoor summer fun includes sports and outdoor activities such as baseball, ultimate, bb-guns or fishing.
Did you know these all involve levers and help you meet some of the Cub Nova Swing Award requirements?
Energizing Scout camp activities or merit badges like canoeing, motor boating, space exploration, rifle or shotgun shooting, archery, environmental science , ...
- Cyber Chip The Cyber Chip can be earned by any youth in the BSA’s programs. Material is tailored at each level for age-appropriateness. Topics include cyberbullying, cell phone use,texting, blogging, gaming, and identity theft.
Cyber Chip Information (PDF)
The Scout Law and CyberSafety/ Cyberbullying (PDF)
Glacier’s Edge Council STEM webpage
Science Technology Engineering and Math
- Online STEM Resources NASA and STEM
WGBH presents NOVA Labs, a series of interactive online science activities
many of these are available online
The Cyber Chip can be earned by any youth in the BSA’s programs. Material is tailored at each level for age-appropriateness. Topics include cyberbullying, cell phone use,texting, blogging, gaming, and identity theft.
Maker Camp – On Google+
Cool Projects, Epic Field ...
- Adult Advancement Training Awards for Adult Leaders in Units
The training awards and keys are designed to recognize unit Scouters for tenure, training, and performance in their leadership roles. Progress record forms with the requirements for these awards can be found at the links below.
Den Leader Training Award (PDF)
Cub Scouting (PDF)
Boy Scouting (PDF)
Varsity Scouting ...
- Internet Rechartering Internet Rechartering
Internet Rechartering is a web-based method for units to renew their charters from any online location – at home or at the office. It’s easy, convenient, and accurate because you enter the information yourself!
Here’s how it works:
The unit receives its charter renewal packet from their unit commissioner. The packet includes information for Internet Rechartering, ...
- Religious Emblems Program
A scout is Reverent. A scout is reverent toward God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others. The Religious Emblem program is available to Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts of all age groups. The following people will be able to assist you with any questions or concerns you may ...
- Eagle Scout Candidate Resources Changes effective Jan. 1, 2012
Updated Eagle Scout Information and resources from BSA National – including new Workbook = Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook, No. 512-927 (New)
“Attention Scouts, Leaders, and Parents or Guardians
Eagle Scout rank requirement 5 has been reworded. To support that change, a new Eagle Scout Service Project Workbook has been created. Through ...
- Internet Advancement Use the Internet Advancement tools from the Boy Scouts of America to assist with keeping track of your unit’s advancement. Internet Advancement allows you to enter youth advancements, awards, and merit badges and perform the following actions:
Select members from your existing roster,
Review, update, or add ranks, merit badges, and/or awards,
Access an online Review ...
- Awards Central Looking for information on awards for youth? and adult volunteers?
Check out Awards Central from BSA National for a handy reference – a single page with awards for all programs from the 50 Miler Award to the Wood Services Award. You might find some that you didn’t even know about.