I want to bring to your attention one change in the process that is different from the tour permit. No longer are signatures or approvals required for the online process. Instead, as someone fills out a plan online, the required prerequisites for that type of trip or activity will be displayed. For any prerequisites that have not been met (for example, not having someone on a trip who has Hazardous Weather training where this training is required), and before being allowed to submit the form, the person completing the form will have to certify that all prerequisites will be met prior to conducting the trip or activity. Once submitted, an email notification will be sent to your council, chartered organization, committee chair, unit leader, and emergency contact to let them know that a plan has been submitted. Receivers of this notification can log in to MyScouting and review the plan.
Times when a tour and activity plan must be submitted for council review include the following:
- Trips of 500 miles or more; or
- Trips outside of council borders (exception: not to your council-owned property); or
- Trips to Florida Sea Base, Northern Tier, Philmont Scout Ranch, Summit Bechtel Reserve (you will be asked to present a copy of your tour and activity plan upon arrival), national Scout jamboree, National Order of the Arrow Conference, or a regionally sponsored event; or
- When conducting any of the following activities outside of council or district events:
- Aquatics activities (swimming, boating, floating, scuba, etc.)
- Climbing and rappelling
- Orientation flights (process flying plan)
- Shooting sports
- Any activities involving motorized vehicles as part of the program (snowmobiles, boating, etc.);
Regardless, the tour and activity plan is an excellent tool that should be included in preparation for all activities, even those not requiring it. It guides a tour leader through itineraries, travel arrangements, two-deep leadership, supervision qualifications, and transportation.
To access the demo, click: http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/HealthandSafety/Alerts/TourActivityPlan.aspx. The MyBSA login screen appears. Enter your current MyBSA user name and password. It will take you to the tour and activity plan home page, where you can begin and create a new plan.
A training video has been developed that guides you through the application process and can also be shared with your unit volunteers.
Some of the tour and activity plan enhancements include the following:
- An email notification will be sent to your council, chartered organization, committee chair, unit leader, and emergency contact to let them know that a plan has been submitted. (It is important to maintain current leadership information in the system to receive notification.)
- There are links to current program-required training and education.
- System prompts and warnings are included.
- You will be able to review and fix any deficiencies flagged by the system prior to submitting the plan.
- You can store, retrieve, copy, and reuse completed tour and activity plans.
- Functionality allows you to upload files such as trekking plans and flight plans.
- Unit volunteers who currently have access to the tour and activity plan will be able to view and update all plans submitted for their unit up to the day before the scheduled plan date.
- There will be leader certification of the plan prior to submission.
Leaders should also review the Tour Plan FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) at this link