Packs: School Night for Scouting. A tried and true plan to recruit more boys into Cub Scouting. This plan involves a partnership among the pack leaders, council and districts professional staff, and council and district volunteers.
Here are the steps for a successful roundup:
1) “Back to the Pack” – In August, packs hold a “roundup” event for returning Cub Scouts and leaders. Find out who is returning and what adult leadership needs you have.
Pack Leadership Needs form for your use
2) Professional staff have been making personal connections with the school principals throughout the council. During these meetings, dates have been established for the “School Night for Scouting” at each school and arrangements for publicity have been made.
3) Professional staff, volunteers and pack leaders run the “School Night for Scouting” in the schools. Boy talks, fliers, posters and other marketing pieces are arranged; School Night Coordinators bring all the supplies that are needed (registration forms, Boys’ Life mini-mags, pens, rosters, etc.) and give the opening presentation. Pack leaders share the upcoming pack plan with the new Cub Scouts and their parents; help with youth and adult applications; help recruit new leaders.
4) District School Night for Scouting Kickoffs
Representatives from each pack, volunteer presenters and School Night coordinators, and professional staff meet to hear how the School Night for Scouting agenda, and learn of their scheduled School Night. Each newly registered Cub Scout receives a free Pinewood Derby car that he can race in the special Districts Fall Derbies (see below)
Districts School Night for Scouting Kickoffs are:
Mohawk – August 25, 7:00 pm
Covenant Presbyterian, Segoe and Mineral Point Roads, Madison, WI
Indian Trails August, 18, 6:00 pm
St. John Vianney’s Church Marian Hall, 1236 E Racine Street, Janesville, WI 53545
Make up date: September 3,
Southern Lakes – August 26 7:00pm
Whitewater Middle School, 401 South Elizabeth St, Whitewater, WI 53190
Wisconsin River – August 25 6:30pm
St. John’s Lutheran Church, 100 Oak St, Prairie Du Sac, WI 53578
Yahara – August 26, 7:00 pm
Messiah Lutheran Church, 5205 Cottage Grove Rd, Madison, WI 53716
There are two more pieces to the plan: New Leaders are trained and Districts special events for new Scouts. The special events are: district overnight camp and district pinewood derby. Look to the council calendar for more information about the in person training sessions and districts special events dates.
5) New Leaders are trained. In person Cub Scout Leader Specific Training is offered in each district, every week, during mid-September through October. Trained leaders hit the ground running and have a great time with their den. Check the council calendar for updated information.
6) Fall District Special Events. District Overnight Camps and District Pinewood Derbies will be scheduled in October and November. Check back for updates.