Scout of the Year Scholarships
The “SCOUT OF THE YEAR” award is a $500 cash prize to the outstanding Scout from a Boy Scout, Venture Crewman or Sea Scout, will be awarded by the Department of Wisconsin Veterans of Foreign Wars and accompanied by a certificate and eagle statue.
The Department of Wisconsin winner will be forwarded for consideration in the national competition. The national winners receive a $5,000 First Place Scholarship, $3,000 for second place and $1,000 for third Place.
Posts may offer prizes of their level as well. The program rules and application are enclosed.
Judging will compare the high school, Scouting and community participation
records of the award candidates. Up to five letters of recommendation are considered as
well. Entries are due only at the local VFW Post by March 1, 2012. The unit leader can
find VFW posts nearby at this web site by entering the local zip code:
Annually, the National Veterans of Foreign Wars recognizes three individuals: Eagle Scouts, Venture Silver Award recipients or Sea Scout Quartermasters who have risen above their peers in exemplifying the exceptional qualities of that rank with the following:
- $5,000 1st place scholarship
- $3,000 2nd place scholarship
- $1,000 3rd place scholarship
To be eligible for the award, the candidate must:
- Be a registered, active member of a Boy Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship.
- Be the recipient of the Eagle Scout Award, Venture Silver Award, or Quartermaster Award.
- Have demonstrated exemplary citizenship in school, Scouting, and community.
- Have reached his or her 15th birthday and be enrolled in high school at the time of selection.
Applicants still in high school who reach their 18th birthday during the nomination year remain eligible if otherwise qualified. A Scout may enter through only one VFW Post. A local Wisconsin Post can be identified by town name on our Post Directory
QUESTIONS? Email email@example.com or call 608-255-6650
- Troop, Crew & Ship Invite VFW (PDF)
- Scout of the Year program Council Letter (PDF)
- Scouting Award information from VFW (DOC)
- Scouting Award information from VFW (PDF)
Entries are due only at the local VFW Post by March 1, 2012.