Boy Scout Troops and Venturing Crews are invited to Troop 514’s Third Annual RECYCLE REGATTA
Sunday, July 1, 1:00 p.m., Lake Leota, Evansville
• Race is open to Boy Scouts, Venturing Crew members, and Scout leaders.
• All flotation for each boat must be provided by plastic bottles.
o Milk jugs, two-liter bottles, water bottles, laundry detergent bottles, etc.
• All boats must be human-powered (no motors allowed.)
• Any number of people can paddle a boat (1, 2, or 3+).
• Cardboard or other seat materials (beach chairs, etc.) can be fastened on top of the boat as a seat.
• Any material (duct tape, rope, etc.) can be used to fasten boat materials together.
• “Decorative elements” are allowed and encouraged.
• Each boat must have a name.
• Paddlers must wear a PDF (life vest) – we will have many available to borrow.
• Participants must be swimmers (BSA requirement)
• Registration from 12:00-12:45, and races will start promptly at 1:00 p.m. This is a FREE event.
• RSVP’s appreciated but not required.
• Canoe and kayak paddles will be available for use.
• Boats will run a short course (out and back around a buoy) on Lake Leota
• Multiple heats will be run in each boat class (1-person, 2-person, or 3-or-more person)
• Race will be held rain or shine (but will be delayed if storms in area).
• Valuable (not!) prizes will be awarded in each boat class.
• Refreshments will be available for purchase at the park as part of Evansville’s July 4 festivities.
• Boats don’t need to be fancy to float (you can build a “good enough” boat in an hour). If you want
helpful hints or want to see additional pictures of boats from previous years, contact us.
• Hint: PVC pipe (1/2”) works well to provide structure to boats.
Check-in at the Evansville Boy Scout’s Scout House, which is the small stone building just to the
right of the two dams on the northeast corner of Lake Leota. Parking will be available in or
near the park, but you may need to carry your boat a little way from your parking spot.